Sanjay Agarwal , Managing Director , Magnatek Enterprises
Choice of right OT table makes surgeries more precise, comfortable, and time saving.
What to Look for in a Modern OT Table?
Design and features are one of the major considerations of an OT table. A lot goes into the design stage before an OT table is manufactured and reaches your theater. Design principles like extra low height, table top slide, etc. go a long way in helping the surgeon perform better. Other design features like – no screws and bolts on the table top, can have great impact. This makes the cleaning of tables very easy and chances of infection spreading are greatly ruled out. The tables should also not have sharp edges, in order to prevent injury to the patient and staff. The table top should be made of a composite radiolucent material, which can give crisp, sharp, and clear images during imaging, and also reduce the radiation to theater staff.
Specialized attachments for ease of patient positioning with which the surgery procedure time is greatly reduced are a must-have for operation theater tables. Generally, all the OT tables start at a height of 32-inch but there are OT tables which start at
25-inch. Such low-height OT tables are very convenient for the surgeons as it gives them greater accessibility and instrument reach while operating. Low height helps in reducing physical stress in long-duration procedures for surgeons. Sliding of the table top with remote control in forward and backward directions helps in repositioning of the patient's body while operating.
There are OT tables that have the feature of the table top coming back to the zero level from any tilt position with just a click of button. Apart from the remote control there should be a provision to operate all the controls through another parallel console, which may be fixed on the base or tower of the table. Using a corded remote can sometimes be cumbersome and restrict movement. Cordless remote control is a very special feature by which all the operations of the table can be done from a distance without disturbing the sterile area. Latest in this is Bluetooth technology.
The OT tables should be capable of being upgraded by adding new attachments and features. The nonhydraulic tables are especially more useful as they have a leak proof design that involves negligible maintenance. Looking for certifications and accreditations like international CE and ISO 13485 helps ensure that the OT table is manufactured according to international quality and safety standards. The OT table manufacturer must provide prompt and good servicing with easily available spares.
Last but not least – price is a major consideration when buying capital equipment like OT table. It is important to produce a table with all the above features at reasonable prices.
Selecting the right surgical light helps in reducing eye strain and fatigue for surgeons while operating.
A very important feature of LED lights is that they should be glare free even at high-intensity levels. This helps surgeons see better without causing strain and fatigue. Other important features to be considered include:
- lHigh brightness at least with a luminance of 160,000 lx on each dome.
- lExcellent tissue differentiation by color change. This can often be done by using multicolored led module.
- l3500 Kelvin to 5000 Kelvin adjustment of color temperature.
- lLarge field diameter focus.
- lHigh penetration depth for deep cavity illumination.
- lThe temperature increase should be less than 1. Hence we call them cold light.
- lUniform and powerful shadowless lighting.
- lLong life of LED of up to 50,000 hours. Hence no need for regular bulb changes.
- l360 maneuverability.
- lLaminar flow compatible.
- lSuperior result of improved contrast, less fatigue.
- lOptimum light output with multilens matrix provides up to 25 percent more light in deep-cavity situations.
- lThey should have multiple options of single dome/double dome/ceiling mounted/mobile with battery backup/mobile spot light.