The market was valued at USD 2690 million in 2017, and is expected to reach USD 3912 million by 2025, growing at a CAGR of 4.8 percent from 2018 to 2025. Bone grafts are implantable materials that promote bone healing, bone formation, and osseous reconstruction. Increase in incidence of musculoskeletal conditions, advancements in medical technology leading to a shift from autograft to allograft, rise in preference for biocompatible bone grafts are the key factors that contribute toward the growth of the global bone grafts and substitutes market. In addition, increase in cases of lifestyle disorders such as diabetes and obesity add to the risk of developing degenerative joint diseases that further fuels the growth of the market. However, the major restraints of this market are ethical issues related to bone grafting and high cost of surgeries.
Cell based matrices (CBM) is projected to grow at the highest CAGR of 6.1 percent from 2018 to 2025, as these materials serve as a cell-based bone grafts substitutes that use cells to generate tissue alone or in combination with support matrix. In addition, the advantages offered by CBM such as reproducibility and cost-effectiveness have fueled the market growth. Spinal fusion accounted for the major share of the total market in 2017, as bone grafts and their substitutes are widely used in the spine fusion procedures worldwide However, the joint reconstruction segment is poised to grow at the highest CAGR of 6.2 percent, due to upsurge in incidence of bone and joint disorders.
Key findings of the bone grafts and substitutes market:
- Bone graft substitutes segment dominated the overall market with a share of more than half of the overall market in 2017, and is expected to continue to lead.
- Asia-Pacific is expected to witness highest market growth rate, with a CAGR of 7.3 percent from 2018-2025.
- US accounted for more than half of the overall market in 2017, whereas South Korea is expected to register the highest CAGR of 9.7 percent.
- North America held the dominant position in the global market in 2017, and is expected to maintain its lead throughout the analysis period. This is attributed to rise in incidence of spinal fusion & joint reconstruction procedures, sedentary lifestyle contributing to joint disorders in the geriatric & younger population, and favorable reimbursement rates in the region.
- The key players profiled in this report include Arthrex, Inc., Baxter International Inc., Integra LifeSciences Holdings Corporation, Johnson & Johnson (DePuy Synthes), Medtronic Plc., Musculoskeletal Transplant Foundation, NuVasive, Inc., Stryker Corporation, Wright Medical Group N.V., and Zimmer Biomet Holdings, Inc. – Allied Medical Research