The global stem cells market is predicted to witness players seeking funds from international organizations for developing new therapies. With a view to cement their position in the market, players could take to the adoption of partnerships and collaborations with pharmas. This could also help them to expand their product portfolios. While these factors are expected to enhance market growth, there could be a few others helping with strong demand for stem cells.
- Stem cell research supported by growing investments from biopharmaceutical and pharmaceutical firms
- Increasing prevalence of chronic diseases
- Rising research and development
- Advanced stem cell banking
- Increasing count of stem cell donors
Transparency Market Research (TMR) foresees the global stem cells market to earn a US$270.5 bn by the completion of 2025 while registering a 13.8% CAGR for the forecast tenure 2017-2025. In a research led by University of Singapore’s (NUS) Professor G.V. Shivashankar and the FIRC Institute of Molecular Oncology (IFOM), it has been found that mature cells can be confined to reprogram them into re-deployable stem cells. Interestingly, this could be achieved without direct genetic modification.
Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells as Emerging Segment of Market
There are various types of products available in the global stem cells market: induced pluripotent, human embryonic, and adult stem cells. Among these, the market could find adult stem cells collecting a larger share in the coming years. Their demand could increase due to their potential to multiply into trillions of specialized cells capable of repairing tissue damage and lowering the risk of rejection.
- Adult stem cells could be followed by human embryonic stem cells in terms of revenue earned in the market.
- Induced pluripotent stem cells are also expected to hold strong potential for growth. However, they are considered as an emerging segment of the market.
- They help solve the problem of immune rejection and are created from the tissue of the patient requiring the transplantation.
- Since the cells are harvested according to the will of the adult without harming their body, they are said to tackle ethical challenges as well.
- Technological advancement
- Growing prevalence of target chronic diseases
- Strong economic growth
- Substantial investments
North America Banks on Massive Investments to Lead Market
On the regional front, the global stem cells market is prognosticated to find North America taking a leading position in the near future. By the end of the forecast period, the region could earn US$167.3 bn. The following factors are anticipated to augur well for the regional market.
North America could be trailed by Europe during the course of the forecast period. Medical tourism in European countries such as Germany could push the growth of the market in the region. Germany welcomes patients from the U.S., Canada, and even other countries. On the other hand Asia Pacific is expected to grow at a faster CAGR of 14.6%.
Some of the key players operating in the global stem cells market are STEMCELL Technologies Inc., Astellas Pharma Inc., Cellular Engineering Technologies Inc., BioTime Inc., Takara Bio Inc., U.S. Stem Cell, Inc., BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics Inc., Cytori Therapeutics, Inc., Osiris Therapeutics, Inc., and Caladrius Biosciences, Inc.-Bio Space